As I'm a newbie in seismology and related area, I would like to know which type of seismic sensors usually used in earthquake early warning systems?

  • 4
    $\begingroup$ Welcome! I recommend starting with some reading about early warning systems for earthquakes. Then you can ask a more pointed question, as this one is rather open-ended. $\endgroup$
    – Matt Hall
    Commented Mar 6, 2018 at 16:41

1 Answer 1


Accelerometers, preferably triaxial (i.e., those that record horizontal and vertical motion). Beyond that your question is indeed a bit too open-ended. Some use many cheap MEMS (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2008GL036572/epdf; https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/7/13/15963996/raspberry-pi-seismograph-early-warning-earthquakes; these are similar to those found in phones), some use more expensive but reliable equipment (https://kinemetrics.com/post_products/episensor-es-t/)...


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.