Are therms "contact aureole" and "thermal aureole" synonyms?

I found some sentence at A. M. PATWARDHAN (2012):

"The peripheral extent up to which the thermal effect of the intrusion is observed is referred to as the contact or thermal aureole of the intrusive body."


1 Answer 1


Contact aureole, thermal aureole and metamorphic aureole are all synonyms referring to the peripheral aureole of recrystallized rocks around an intrusion of an igneous body due to the heat flux between the intrusion and the box rock.

You can read several examples quoting both terms as synonyms:

The Wikipedia article on metamorphic types includes a section heading of

"Contact (thermal)"

And another example is frontiersin.org where the subject regularly interchanges the terms to prevent monotony in the writing.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.