I'm not looking for college recommendations or which is the best, so I'm not asking for opinions on which institutions are the best. What I would like to know is if there are specific places that someone could go where they can just focus on geology related fields only. And only take classes that pertained to acquiring enough education to work in a geology related field.

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ Hi ! Well, keep in mind that Geosciences work hand in hand with physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, information science, and i am sure i forgot something. A broad foundation is necessariy, before one can decide which direction to take for further studies/learning etc. In parts of Europe (Germany) one can just attend lectures. e.g. introductory lectures in earth's dynamics for example. Assuming a certain base of knowledge. $\endgroup$
    – user18411
    Dec 23, 2019 at 19:41
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks. That is helpful. Good to know. $\endgroup$
    – B'ajj
    Dec 23, 2019 at 20:10
  • $\begingroup$ geology only probably not, geology focused yes, as a college you have to educate students in more than just their major so some diversification is almost necessary. if you are looking for a good geology school I recommend the south dakota school of mines, sdsmt.edu it has a very geosciences focused. $\endgroup$
    – John
    Dec 23, 2019 at 23:17
  • $\begingroup$ Ort your countries geological survey (www.usgs.gov) might may be worth contacting ... $\endgroup$
    – user18411
    Dec 23, 2019 at 23:21
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks for the info. I have heard of SDSMT. I also wondered about the USGS. I shall check on those. $\endgroup$
    – B'ajj
    Dec 26, 2019 at 14:34

1 Answer 1


Why would you limit yourself? You could just go to a regular university and enroll in the geology degree program. In some countries (like Germany) you would then only take courses necessary to become a geologist (including the math and physics you need to understand for it). In some other countries (e.g, the United States) you'd have to take other courses for "breadth requirements" as well, but most of your courses would still be in geology.

The fact that a regular university also offers courses in other areas doesn't really matter that much, or does it?


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.