I live in the SF Bay Area where many, but not all, geological features are oriented parallel to the San Andreas Fault. I was wondering if there’s a type of map where ridges are colored by compass orientation, so perhaps N-S features are blue and E-W features are yellow, with lots of gradations in between. Seems like it would help identify features produced by the same forces (at least as a first guess). Does this type of map exist? If so, what’s it called? If not, would it actually be useful?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I could write a partial answer based on using Python to color a topographical map downloaded in this way (see also this incredible answer!) if that would be of interest. It won't address all parts of your question but at least then you could have a height map and a gradient map and a few ways to choose how to assign a color to a particular gradient direction and strength. Would that be of interest? $\endgroup$
    – uhoh
    Commented Mar 21, 2020 at 8:22


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.