I'm sometimes frustrated by publicly available precipitation forecasts, such as those offered by the Met Office or Google. If I understand these forecasts correctly, they tell me:
- The expected volume of rain (e.g. 5ml of rain)
- The overall likelihood of there being any rain (e.g. 50% chance of rain)
This is generally a sufficient level of data, but sometimes it would be useful to see a more statistically nuanced prediction, which could let me know things like:
- The 95% confidence interval of the expected volume of rain
- A probability-density of rainfall volume
- Maximum/minimum possible volume within a given interval of confidence
Is there any rainfall data of that sort available for the UK?