Is there a word for the phenomenon of water seeming to rush out to meet an oncoming wave? Perhaps it's more of a physics terminology question?

  • $\begingroup$ I think backwash might be the right term - though maybe that doesn't address the visual perception of the water 'rushing' to meet the wave $\endgroup$
    – Andy M
    Nov 24, 2022 at 9:17
  • $\begingroup$ what you are asking here has many different names like en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip_current and en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undertow_(water_waves) $\endgroup$ Nov 25, 2022 at 5:58
  • $\begingroup$ I'm looking for a term like convection that describes this type of motion, if that helps $\endgroup$
    – JB0x2D1
    Nov 25, 2022 at 22:08


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.