Is there a page where I can look up rock unit definitions for France similar to:

I did some searching for this, but because of my poor French I couldn't find anything.


1 Answer 1


The best I have been able to turn up is the paid BD-logs service, which provides standardised lithology for borehole data. Open Geospatial Consortium data all appears to be listed on the Geoservices page, and does not appear to include a lithological database/lexicon. The French Geological Reference Platform does not appear to include a standalone database. The BRGM's list of resources also does not appear to provide pointers to any relevant information. Given that the FRGM is in active development, it seems plausible that this is not in fact a dataset that currently exists.

  • $\begingroup$ Hurrah! Sorry I couldn't find any actual resources that did what you wanted. $\endgroup$
    – kaberett
    Apr 30, 2014 at 19:09
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ At least now I have certainty and something to read. And it has the benefit that it improves my French reading skills, because I have to read the booklets that come with the survey maps. $\endgroup$ Apr 30, 2014 at 19:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.