I know that St. Elmo's Fire is a form of plasma that occurs during thunderstorms that is similar to lightning because it is formed by a difference in charges.
But why isn't it dangerous if St. Elmo's Fire is around you?
For one, the fact that there is a charge difference usually means an electric shock, whether that is a tiny bit of static electricity from touching metal or a lightning strike. Yet St. Elmo's Fire is caused by a charge difference but doesn't give you an electric shock.
Also if there is a charge difference around you, lightning is more likely to strike you, even if you are as low as you can be. This can lead to heart problems such as tachycardia, fibrillation, or asystole. It can also cause uncontrollable muscle movements which itself can be dangerous because if your muscles are out of control you can end up anywhere. Muscles being out of control can also mean things like vomiting, lots of mechanical digestion, high blood pressure and more from involuntary muscles being out of control. In any case it is dangerous to have voluntary or involuntary muscles out of control. It can also cause nervous system problems, in particular excitation toxicity from positive charges continously reaching neurons until they don't send a signal.
So with all the health problems that can result and the difference in charges itself without an electric shock, why is St. Elmo's Fire not dangerous?